|The Peace Pole|
If you are having difficulties finding places in your neighborhood where Chinese is apparent, below are a few ideas.
- Check out your library. You might be surprised by the number of books that are available for kids in Chinese (with ㄅㄆㄇㄈ or pinyin or only characters). If the selection is slim, suggest to your librarian they invest in more books.
- Go to a Chinese restaurant. Most buffets will list the items in English and Chinese.
- Check out Panda Express (the water cups have the word 水 on them; very cool!)
- Invest in a Chinese Magnet Poetry set.
- Point out Chinese restaurant signs as you drive down the street.
- Create a Chinese Calendar. Hang it on your wall and talk about the familiar characters/radicals you see.
- Provide opportunities in your house to see and practice reading Chinese: See Post It! Part 1 and Post It! Part 2.