The Confucius Institute at the University of Iowa is offering Chinese Culture enrichment events! The Confucius Institute is located in the International Programs Department at the University Capitol Centre (UCC) in the Old Capitol Mall in downtown Iowa City.
Below are a list of classes that have been offered in the past. Click on the link above to find out what classes are currently available.
- Language Classes
- Mandarin Level One, Davenport
- Mandarin Level One, Iowa City
- Taiji太极- Taiji was originally designed focus on self-defense, and has gradually evolved as an effective means for flexibility, relaxation, stress control, and overall health enhancement. In this session, students will learn fundamental Taiji movements: Ward-off, Roll Back, Press and Push in a Four Hands form. Any loose and comfortable fitting clothing is suitable. Students should wear light, low, and flat shoes.
- Wushu武术- Wushu is a style of martial arts that is based on Chinese calligraphy. Participants will learn about the origin and philosophy of this art form, the characters and the movements, the offensive and defensive sets, and practice some basic traditional Chinese martial arts exercises and techniques.
- Fun and Culture
- Majiang麻将- This Majiang course is designed to introduce a popular Chinese board game to those who are interested in learning the basic concept of the game, how to play it, and some simple strategies. Participants will also learn some Chinese numbers and characters as well as some related aspects of Chinese culture and customs.
- Chinese Calligraphy Workshops- Workshop participants will get hands-on experience using calligraphy ink and brushes. No previous experience with Chinese or Chinese Calligraphy is required. Chinese Calligraphy Workshops are led by Dr. Ramon Lim, University of Iowa Professor Emeritus of Neurology and winner of the 2005 Eighth International Calligraphy Competition. Dr. Lim has his works widely exhibited in China, Korea and Japan.
- From Yao to Mao: 5,000 Years of Chinese History- This "Great Courses" video series is designed to give students a glimpse into ancient China. China has a long and complex history full of rich culture. The course will give an overview of early Chinese dynasties, philosophies, and historical figures. The course will not only explore China's vast history but is will also offer participants a window of understanding into modern day China.